April 12, 2012
Prokhorov in Brooklyn: the conquering hero, except to one columnist paying attention
Atlantic Yards Report
Norman Oder also rounds up the saturation coverage of The Great Prokhorov, some of which we've already covered.
Well, Nets principal owner Mikhail Prokhorov came to Brooklyn Tuesday to look at the under-construction Barclays Center arena and pretty much conquered the fawning sports press, with one notable exception.
(Prokhorov with Bruce Ratner, in photo from the Nets' web site.)
Here are some of the headlines, which hint at the low level of actual news:
- Owner Says the Nets and New Arena Remain Hard-Hat Zones, New York Times
- Nets owner Prokhorov starts courting Deron, New York Post
- Mikhail Prokhorov ready for "throwdown’ over Deron Williams, New York Daily News
- Nets owner Prokhorov jokes about "crushing" Mark Cuban over Deron Williams, The Record
- Prokhorov speaks in Brooklyn, NJ Nets Nation
- NETS: 6 Months Out, Prokhorov Tours Barclays Center Site, Nets site
- Nets’ Brooklyn Dream Is A Reality, NBA.com
- Mikhail Prokhorov dishes on D-Will, ESPN New York (with video)
- Prokhorov challenges Cuban to duel, weighs in on Dwight, D-Will. CBS Sports
- Mikhail Prokhorov vows to crush Mark Cuban in kickboxing if Deron Williams signs with Mavericks, Sporting News
- In His Rising Arena, Nets Owner Prokhorov Foresees His Team As NBA Chamption, NY1 (with video)
The NY1 piece is particularly egregious, since it's not "his" arena (he's junior partner to Bruce Ratner in operating a nominally state-owned facility), nor does he "foresee" so much as "aspire" or "b.s."
No AYR at the press conference
Why wasn't I there? I was told it was for "accredited media" only, so they wouldn't let me in.
Then again, Prokhorov, according to the boosterish NetsDaily blogger "Net Income," aka Bob Windrem, "appreciates bloggers in both sports and politics" and was welcomed to Prokhorov's luxury box. It apparently depends on the bloggers.
Posted by eric at April 12, 2012 11:12 AM