January 19, 2011
Prokhorov ends Nets’ pursuit of Anthony
by Adrian Wojnarowski
In a stunning and surreal declaration during a live, televised news conference, Russian billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov declared his New Jersey Nets had canceled a planned Thursday meeting with Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony(notes) and ended the Nets’ part in the long, acrimonious trade talks for the All-Star forward.
“It’s been too long and too expensive,” Prokhorov said.
New Jersey general manager Billy King sent text messages to Denver and Detroit officials to tell them that talks of a proposed three-team trade that would’ve brought Anthony to the Nets were done.
When asked who had been driving the talks over the past several months, Prokhorov said, “It was purely on the basketball level.”
Nevertheless, sources insist the Nets’ ownership and marketing sides had been relentless proponents of bringing Anthony to New Jersey as a prelude to their planned move to a new arena in Brooklyn in 2012.
Marketing? Et tu, Yormark?
NoLandGrab: Plan A,
LeBron. Plan B, Dwyane Wade. Plan C, Chris Bosh. Plan D, 'Melo. Plan E, Teen Wolf?.
It can be tough to untangle the logic behind some basketball moves--did the Nets really want Yi Jianlian for his skills or for the China market?--and that issue has come up again, as the Nets have abandoned pursuit of Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony.
Posted by eric at January 19, 2011 11:22 PM