December 23, 2010
The dialogue (imagined) behind yesterday's court non-drama; what if someone challenged Justice Friedman on the Development Agreement?
Atlantic Yards Report
Norman Oder imaginatively sums up the legal travesty that has allowed construction of the Atlantic Yards arena to progress.
I wasn't privy to the discussions among lawyers yesterday before state Supreme Court Justice Marcy Friedman, so I don't think this was the discussion that led to the lifting of a request for a stay on project construction.
I suspect the discussion was far more limited and politic.
But this is what might have happened had there been a law clerk in the room raising inconvenient arguments.
Dramatis personae include:
- State Supreme Court Justice Marcy Friedman (MF)
- Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn attorney Jeff Baker (JBa)
- BrooklynSpeaks attorney Al Butzel (AB)
- Empire State Development Corporation Phil Karmel (PK)
- Forest City Ratner attorney Jeffrey Braun (JBr)
- Friedman's imaginary, impudent law clerk (LC)
Read on for Oder's engaging and infuriating tragi-comedy.
Posted by eric at December 23, 2010 9:51 AM