May 11, 2009
Questions for the oversight hearing: Is Frank Gehry still on the project? What's he doing?
Atlantic Yards Report
Is Frank Gehry still working on the Atlantic Yards project? Developer Forest City Ratner says he is, even though Gehry laid off or reassigned the entire project team late last year.
If Gehry has laid off his staff, as has been reported, what does that mean:
• Is Gehry still working on the project? How actively?
• Will he rehire staff to work on the project?
• Have other architects taken Gehry's designs and reworked them to save money?
• Can the price tag, once $950 million, be cut in half?
• Why exactly did the price tag rocket from $435 million to $950 million?
Why does it matter? Because Forest City Ratner and Barclays, which bought arena naming rights, continue to tout Gehry's role.
...if the arena, once to be designed by Gehry, would instead be "inspired" by Gehry's design, then wouldn't revenues for the arena sponsor as well as the government be lower?
So the public has an interest in the issue.
Gehry's speaking tonight at the New York Public Library.
Posted by lumi at May 11, 2009 5:29 AM