« Ratner Money Fueling Challenge to James' Council Seat? | Main | Atlantic Yards Report Looks for Media Accuracy »
March 29, 2009
Backpedalling For A Sunday Morning
Those who have spent the last few years following the ways of Bruce Ratner are quite used to seeing communications from Forest City Ratner wherein straightforward English phrases are interpreted to mean whatever pleases the developer. This past week, the spin machine speed dial was turned to "Full" as starchitect Frank Gehry's simple, honest assessment of Atlantic Yards: ''I don't think it's going to happen" was reimagined as a hissy fit on Gehry's part.
Chicago Sun-Times - Brooklyn plans
By John Jackson
The New Jersey Nets still contend they'll be moving to Brooklyn, although the opening date of their new arena, the Barclays Center, keeps getting pushed back.
But last week, famed architect Frank Gehry, who designed the arena and the Atlantic Yards project that surrounds it, expressed doubts the project will be built. ''I don't think it's going to happen,'' he said bluntly.
''Frank Gehry is still the architect of this project,'' said Brett Yormark, the Nets' CEO. ''He loves it; it's still dear to his heart, no different than it is to all of us.
''It's fair to say there are a lot of people concerned. But things take time in New York City, especially from a development perspective. Frank was just venting, probably.''
Yormark said he expects ground to be broken on the project this summer and that the Nets will open the 2011-12 season there.
Newsday - Brooklyn dodging
by Alan Hahn
Those skeptical of the Nets' ambitious Brooklyn plans were not surprised to hear the project's famous architect, Frank Gehry, recently admit, "I don't think it's going to happen." But the Nets quickly mobilized to insist the plans still are full steam ahead.
Nets owner Bruce Ratner said concerns about the Atlantic Yards development project in the troubling economic environment are "understandable," but Ratner went on to say that the project's biggest hang-up - legal battles with residents who needed to be relocated - has gone completely in favor of the Nets. A decision regarding eminent domain is expected within a month, which would fast-track the project for a groundbreaking by early summer.
The plan remains to have the Nets in Brooklyn, at the new Barclays Center, for the start of the 2011-12 season.
"Atlantic Yards will get built," Ratner said.
Gehry later said his comments, which were published in an architectural trade magazine, were "misconstrued" and said his firm is "hopeful that the project will come to fruition in the very near future."
Posted by steve at March 29, 2009 7:46 AM