« RUSTY START FOR METS | Main | Early Spring Cleaning »

January 13, 2009

Gehry still on board for $4bn Brooklyn Atlantic Yards scheme

BD Online
by Arlene Martin

Gehry speaks?!

Frank Gehry has refuted suggestions that he is no longer part of a $4 billion mixed-use project in New York’s Brooklyn district, which was put on hold last month.

But pressure group Don’t Destroy Brooklyn insisted Gehry is no longer part of the Atlantic Yards scheme, which includes an office tower, commercial and residential space, plus a flagship $1 billion stadium for the Nets basketball team.

The group said Gehry had walked off the project after developer Bruce Ratner’s efforts to value-engineer aspects of the development, including the stadium.

“It’s pretty obvious that Ratner is desperate to cut costs and the costs of quality construction materials, and the only way to do this to find a much less expensive architect, one who designs in a less expensive way,” group spokesman Daniel Goldstein told BD.
...

But a spokesman for the award-winning architect strongly denied the allegation.

“Frank Gehry is proud of his ongoing work with the visionary Atlantic Yards team and remains dedicated to the collective pursuit of a vibrant new urban community in the heart of Brooklyn,” he said.

article

NoLandGrab: We're having a bit of a hard time believing that the only media inquiry that Gehry Partners has responded to is from a British architecture publication (note the unnamed spokesman).

That said, remaining "dedicated to the collective pursuit of a vibrant new urban community in the heart of Brooklyn" does smack of building a "neighborhood practically from scratch." Of course, if Bruce Ratner hadn't torn down and de-populated the neighborhood that was already there, that wouldn't be an option, would it?

Posted by eric at January 13, 2009 11:52 AM