« Trinidad Contractor Officially Booted Off NY City Planning Commission | Main | DDDB PRESS RELEASE:
Hundreds of Brooklynites Walk to Raise Funds for Ongoing Legal Battle Against Atlantic Yards Project »

October 15, 2007

DDDB's Walk Don't Destroy 3 raises more than $50,000

Atlantic Yards Report

TishWalkathon.jpg

"Supersize Brooklyn?" asked City Council Member Letitia James in a sing-song, leading Walk Don't Destroy 3, the third annual walkathon to fund Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn's (DDDB) legal campaign against Atlantic Yards.

(Photo by Jonathan Barkey. More photos here.)

"No way," responded the group with her, some 200 who walked a route from Freddy's Bar & Backroom at Dean Street and Sixth Avenue to Flatbush Avenue, up Flatbush to Grand Army Plaza, then up Vanderbilt Avenue to the after-party at Soda Bar.

The event raised more than $50,000--more than what was raised two years ago, but seemingly half that raised last year. But the $100,000 figure announced last year, I was told yesterday, actually combined $65,000 from pledges with three major gifts keyed to the event. (Last year there were 300 marchers and 1100 donors; this year, the numbers were 200 and 600, though more pledges are coming in.)

Despite the relative drop-off, DDDB organizers were pleased. "We're well-funded for the coming months," said DDDB spokesman Daniel Goldstein. DDDB has funded an appeal in the federal eminent domain litigation and a pending case challenging the Atlantic Yards environmental review.

article

Posted by lumi at October 15, 2007 9:38 AM